The town of Santa Cruz de la Serós may be one of the best preserved of the Pyrenees, is famous for its traditional architecture, with stone houses topped with the typical roof tiles and chimneys topped by spectacular known witch scares, figures ending fine tapered chimneys with a protective intent of the house. We are one of the most valuable architectural peoples of the region.
The name “of the Serós” comes from their connection with religious secular (or Séror sorores in Aragon), who until the late sixteenth century lived in the monastery of Santa Maria. The monastery was founded by Ramiro I of Aragon by the year 1060 and originally intended as a female monastery reserved for the king’s own daughters and the Aragonese nobility. The monumental Church of St. Mary, jewel of the XII century Aragonese Romanesque, has survived virtually intact, while the various branches of the monastery have faded with the passage of time.
What to see?
At the edge of the village is the parish church dedicated to St. Caprasio. This is a typical construction Lombard, probably dating from the tenth or eleventh century. At the head stands a strong tower, the work of the late twelfth century.
Santa Cruz has Serós doctor’s office, postal service, sports court and the possibility of hiring adventure sports activities, which develop in the environment.
Where to visit?
The Cultural Park of San Juan de la Peña combines the heritage-Old Monastery of San Juan de la Peña (Well of Cultural Interest), New Monastery of San Juan de la Peña (Well of Cultural Interest), Church of the Monastery of Santa María ( Santa Cruz, S. XII, BIC), Church of San Caprasio (Santa Cruz, S. X, BIC) – with the environment. The area is considered Site of Community Interest (SCI) and declared an area SPAs (Special Protection Area for Birds). Not surprisingly, the Sierra de San Juan de la Peña houses one of the largest populations of vultures, griffon vultures and black vultures in the Iberian Peninsula.
Monastery of San Juan de la Peña
Since the population share the road-and-bus service linking Santa Cruz to the serosa with the Monastery of San Juan de la Peña.
National Site since 1920, in this place come together exceptionally outstanding natural, historical and cultural. Here you will find what was most important monastery of Aragon in the Middle Ages. Additionally, the Site San Juan National de la Peña is a small but valuable natural area whose boundaries coincide with those of Mount Pano. Under the escarpment, in a huge bill of rock, stands the old monastery, monastic center emblematic of Aragon was declared a National Monument in 1889.