In the valley of the river Meuse, in the region of Wallonia in southern Belgium, Liege is a city with an important past, related to members of European royalty and also the capital of what in time, between the years 980 and 1795, was an independent principality.
The past and present of Liege are very marked by the original had. The city was in the eighth century a small village next to one arm of the river Meuse where the bishop of Torengen, Lamberto, was killed there. That place where he was martyred became a pilgrimage site of monks and was of vital importance to take it, that the successor to the martyr Lamberto diocese had to move to that small village that grew so fast. From this period date many of the towers that populate the silhouette of Liege.
Traverse the old town of Liege is touring its history, despite the fact that over the centuries the city was sacked and burned several times, have been preserved with the passage of time several churches, the Cathedral of Saint Paul Seven collegiate and the Palace of the Prince Bishops.
Saint Paul’s Cathedral noted for its Gothic cloister, one of the most beautiful in the country. Data from the tenth century, but it was not until the nineteenth century when it became a cathedral in Liege, the former cathedral of Saint Lambert was destroyed during the revolution that occurred in the city.
There are several churches over the centuries those who have remained intact over the centuries, as the former collegiate church of Saint Bartholomy, founded around the year 1010 outside the city walls. But the highlight of this church is the baptismal font, which is considered one of the seven wonders of Belgium, which is one of the masterpieces of Romanesque architecture.
The Basilica of Saint Martin also dates from the eleventh century but was destroyed by fire in the year 1312. Since then it has undergone several reforms, the most important during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, which gave him the look now.
The church of Saint Jacques, dating from 1015 and notable for its beautiful stained glass windows and especially its inner vault.
Finally, in the medieval center of Liege is also the Palace of the Prince Bishops, the current seat of the provincial government, an imposing palace overlooking the Place Saint Lambert. Rebuilt in the sixteenth century, cannot fail to visit the first courtyard, surrounded by columns.
Very close, we come to our next visit: the Market Square, the heart of the city, where she creates a market that specializes in vegetables, in which the Walloon Region is famous. In this same square is the Town Hall.
A curious detail is the journey that has marked the city to follow the most important places in the city related to its most famous son: Georges Simenon, writer famous for his detective work and for being the father in the fictional Inspector Maigret, name was given in memory of a local policeman who died during the 1st World War. It even has a square, Inspector Maigret, behind City Hall, perhaps the most photographed in the city.