According to historical tradition, Havana was the last of the seven villages founded by order of Diego Velázquez. One of his deputies, Panfilo Narvaez, was founded July 25 final of 1514, known as San Cristobal de la Habana, for the saint who was being held that day. Some time later, apparently because it’s unhealthy place, some of the neighbors asked for permission to emigrate toward the north coast, where they settled Casiguaguas beside the river, now known as Almendares.
On November 16 1519 was carried out to establish the village in the real place that today occupies what is called Old Havana in the Cuban capital. Havana, founded by Narváez, was not completely abandoned by its residents, so during an uncertain time, there are two Havana, one in the north and another in the south.
In the seventeenth century, the Old Havana received through two real cases, when the decree was declared in 1634 as a key safeguard of the New World and the West Indies. In 1665 he was awarded the opportunity to use their own arms, which represent the tree with two castle turrets and then defended the city.
Today we will focus on the churches and convents in Havana Vieja, the most representative monuments of the place and making Cubans feel real devotion.
The first to which we must stop it at the Convent of St. Francis of Assisi, one of the first monastic orders which arrived in Cuba in 1570. The death of one of the notables of the city, donated all his property to the Franciscans to build a monastery in the port of Havana. In 1584 the works were made, completed by the end of the sixteenth century.
The Church of the Holy Spirit, is the oldest preserved in the city on foot. Its construction dates back a 1632. Its beauty lies in its smallness, which is dedicated to the Holy Spirit since 1638. The Church of Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje is built on an ancient chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Good Voyage. The church that hosts the only Easter processions on the island, emerging from the convent of San Francisco and end here.
Under the influence of Bishop Juan de Las Cabezas in 1602, promoted the creation of an Augustinian convent under the auspices of Our Lady of Candelaria. Was completed in 1660 and the convent of St. Augustine now stands in Old Havana. To create a convalescent hospital was built in Havana convent of Our Lady of Bethlehem, the temple was completed in 1718.
The Cathedral of Havana is the result of a historical process that began in the first half of the seventeenth century. Already in 1658 the king requested a license to build a school and a church, because the inhabitants of Havana were the need for an institution of higher education, since it does not always have the option of moving to Spain or Mexico. After some disagreements with the City, the Society of Jesus would lead the institution, and in April 1727 would be the king who ordered the place of the new headquarters of the temple in the grounds of San Ignacio.
The Church of San Francisco de Paula was erected in 1667 as the last will of the priest Nicolás Estévez Borges, who donated all his property for construction. Finally visit the Convent de Santa Teresa de Jesus, Last of the convents in Havana in the eighteenth century. Its founders were the doctor of medicine, Francisco Moreno, and his wife Ana Ladino. They spent large sums of money from his personal fortune to build the monastery and the church.
On another occasion, the travel lanes of this historic city. Of Little Havana, the old safeguards of the New World, Old Havana.